Car Crash Lawyer in Las Vegas
At the Cogburn Law Offices, we fight for the rights of those injured in a car crash. Hire us and you’ll get a personal injury lawyer who has experience in the courtroom and who is willing to take your case to trial to secure fair compensation, rather than an attorney who will push you towards an unfair settlement.
We know that finances can be a problem after a car crash, and we do not add the burden of attorney’s fees to your worries. Our firm does not collect anything from our personal injury clients, unless you collect from the defendants.
When an Accident Becomes a Crash
Fender benders and accidental collisions are an acceptable risk when you share the road with other drivers; however, when the reckless behavior of another driver causes your personal injury or property damage, you need the services of a car crash lawyer.
When the cause of injuries goes beyond unexpected road conditions or unavoidable circumstances, the driver responsible for the crash must be held accountable in court. Reckless and willful driving negligence includes:
- Distracted Driving—The leading cause of wrecks for drivers 16-20, distracted driving refers to any activity that takes a driver’s eyes off of the road. The most common reasons for distracted driving are texting behind the wheel and interference from passengers.
- Speeding—State speed limits establish safe driving speeds for road conditions. Drivers who exceed the posted limits do not have enough time to react to objects in the road or adjust their position to avoid a crash.
- Drunk Driving—A third of all traffic wrecks in the United States are the result of drunk driving, and drunk drivers kill thousands of Americans every year. Drivers 21-34 are disproportionately affected by drunk drivers, with far higher instances of crashes and fatalities than every other demographic.
- Reckless Behavior—Reckless driving is any action by a driver that puts the public at risk. A driver can be found guilty of reckless driving for numerous dangerous driving activities including changing lanes without a signal and ignoring traffic lights.
If a car crash lawyer can prove the defendant was responsible for your injuries, you may be entitled to personal injury compensation.
Car Crash Statistics
Car wrecks in Nevada cost the state and citizens millions of dollars every year. The latest numbers from the University of Nevada School of Medicine show:
- 17 percent of all wrecks involve drinking or drugs
- Drunk driving crashes cost more than $75,000 on average
- All other wrecks average less than $56,000
- Using the New Injury Severity Scoring scale, the severity of the average crash in Nevada is rising year after year
- Distracted driving causes the most wrecks with drivers 16-20
- Drunk driving is responsible for most wrecks for drivers 20-26 and drivers 36-65
- Lane departure is the leading cause of wrecks for drivers 26-34
- Intersection violations cause the most wrecks with drivers over 65
Types of Compensation
A car crash lawyer will pursue both economic and non-economic damages for injuries caused in your wreck.
Economic damages are awards based on the direct results of a car crash. They include:
- Medical bills
- In-home medical assistance
- Lost wages and potential earnings
- Damage to the vehicle and property inside
While economic damages are a good start to compensation, they do not fully cover the your suffering, which is why a car crash lawyer will also seek non-economic damages.
Your financial rewards that are not directly related to the wreck are considered non-economic damages. Juries may award non-economic damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of companionship
- Missed experiences
The wide definition of non-economic damages, and the lack of a damage cap, creates considerable opportunities for a car crash lawyer seeking damages.
In the days or hours after a car crash, your health and safety must be your first concern, followed by seeking the advice of a qualified car crash attorney. Contact one of our attorneys today for a free legal assessment, and get started on the path to healing.